Monday, January 25, 2010

Last weeks letter... sorry i'm a bit behind :)

Well, another week gone by!

Things are okay here in Hampton. The usual. I'm getting pretty bored with this area and running out of things to do and places to tract. It’s tough. I do have some really exciting news though... We have a baptismal date! YAY, with this guy named Fansisco. He's awesome. We met him through a less active member. As he was walking out of her house, we were walking in, and we met, he told us he was really interested in our church and wanted to learn more about it and how he can change his life for the better. Since then, we've been meeting with him 1-2 times a week and having some solid member lessons. He's been to church twice and really enjoyed it and learned many new things. We have set a date for him on January 30th. Let’s hope all goes well. But he is continuing to keep commitments and holding strong. He's Mexican, but he speaks

Okay, news with Todd and Sandy is this week has been kinda a bummer. I keep having really high hopes for these two, but sometimes I just don't know what to do. This week on Wednesday we went over and we were gonna show the Finding Faith in Christ video. When we got there, It was just Todd there and he said Sandy was at the hospital with her mother, who has been very sick for the past 6 months and almost died a number of times… anyway, she was the sickest she had been, so we were just gonna have the lesson with Todd. Right before we got started, the phone rang and it was sandy, extremely upset, her mother had died. So we canceled our lesson because of course, family comes first. The reason we were upset is we really wanted to get them to church this week. I was gonna invite them up to Mason City to have a church tour and meet some members... but now with all this commotion, it seems difficult any large strides will be made for awhile. We stopped by the other night to drop of a card and when we tried to set up an appointment, she seemed slightly negative. I hope they will let us come English too.

With most other investigators, it’s just kind of a joke right now... no one really keeps commitments, they don't come to church, they won't read. No one will really do anything to progress. It’s tough and frustrating. Especially because I have been here for almost 4 transfers already, and I'm running out of streets to tract, and Mexicans to talk to and the white people here are not very accepting of the message. I just need to get to a new area and get re-pumped about missionary work. But I will try very hard to 'endure to the end' of this area.

We had Zone Conference this past week too. It was fantastic and the spiritual boost I really needed. Elder Phillips and Elder Porter did training on planning and goal setting, which is something that I can really work on lately. I had a really good interview with president too. I got to see elder Poulsen there, which made my day. I love him like a brother. I miss him so so much. Such a fantastic missionary. I hope we are good friends after the mission.

Okay… So here's some other news. You know that Great Expectations picture of me that the church put up to advertise for devotionals or whatever? Well, I got a call from the stake president of the area I am in last night, and they are getting ready to do some New Beginnings program for all the youth in the stake…which is quite a few. Well anyways, he says that he knows I'm in a brand new year, and he knows that I am a talented singer and he wants me to be a part of it. A big part of it. He basically wants me to put on the show. He wants me to take 30-45 minutes addressing the Youth, sharing experiences from a brand new year, Singing, share video clips from a brand new year, share my testimony, talk about for the strength of youth and all that jazz... And I being the person I am said yes, as usual... but I'm kind of scared out of my pants now... what the heck am I gonna do? I could really use any input any of you might have... and this things is on the 30th, so I don’t have a ton of time to prepare... Yikes! I need a good song I can sing... and I don’t know what to sing! I may need your help mom, in choosing a number or something. IDEAS IDEAS??? help - (in the rayman little blue guy voice that Landen makes)

Spanish is still pretty tough. I am trying to attack it, but it is such a broad subject that sometimes I just don't know what I'm doing... keep praying that I will catch on, I need it.

Well I love you all tons. Miss you.

Much love,

~Elder Holman

No comments:

Post a Comment