Wednesday, July 13, 2016

God Bless America July 4th, 2016

Hola Familia

Thank you so much for the fotos. I'm glad to see that you had a good trip! I also had a good week. This past week was the best week ever!


Last Monday we played basketball at the church! And had tons of fun and then on Tuesday morning elder Ylimaula and I went to Consejo. It was really cool. Sister Reeves from the general relief society presidency came and talked to our mission about being good missionaries and it was really cool. Really spiritual it was like
going to EFY.


On our way home we got stopped in traffic for 3 hours. A truck towing a trailer hit the side of the road and the trailer flipped over and blocked of all lanes of traffic. So that was fun! The coolest thing that has been happening lately is that we have a lot of families in our ward that are inviting us to missionary family home evenings and bring their friends with them. So we've met some new people this past week and this last Sunday there was a family from Columbia that came to church. I can already smell the water in the baptismal font! Happy Birthday to Starlee and America!!  This last week I was reading some really good patriotic general conference talks I'd like to share one with you:

What a wonderful heritage we could leave to our youth if we could just kindle in them the fires of freedom that our fathers kindled in us. I love this great land; I honor the great founding fathers; I’m proud to be an American. I cannot sing “America” without tears coming to my eyes and without chills running up and down my back. When I stand with my hand over my heart and sing our national anthem, I’m so proud I can hardly stand it. When I think of all the noble men who gave their lives for this land, then I feel a sacred resolve well up within me
and I know that we must stand fast.

 We are the nation’s watchmen--no other people collectively love the Constitution and honor it and hold it as a divinely inspired document as do the Latter-day Saints. The duty of the watchman is to watch over and safeguard his people. And remember the thought-provoking question by President Harold B. Lee, “But watchman,
what of the night?” As a generation of those who love this glorious country, we must ask ourselves, “But watchman, what of the night?” Have our youth enough of the fires of freedom kindled in them to withstand the darkness? We must teach them in our homes, churches, and schools. The sound must go across this land from one end to the other.

 Now one final word about this great land. Emma Lazarus in these appropriate lines concerning the Statue of Liberty describes the migration from all lands to America:


      Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,


          With conquering limbs astride from land to land;


          Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand


          A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame


          Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name


          Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand


          Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command


          The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.


          “Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she


          With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,


          Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,


          The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,


          Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,


          I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”




      The United States of America is the golden door. I bear my solemn and sacred witness that the United States of America is the greatest nation on the face of the earth. We ought to love it and we ought to talk about it. We need to be true, we need to have faith. If we do this, God will give us strength to brace against the winds. He
will make this country like a giant pillar of granite. He will make us a mighty people, a pure people, a Christlike people, a worthy people, a free people. The Latter-day Saints bear witness and we know the witness is true that we have a modern prophet, that the Book of Mormon is a record of God’s dealings with people who had problems similar to the problems we have in this day. And they were a great people who loved this land and thus we find the course we must take in following in their footsteps. These things are true, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

I love America!! The land of Round doorknobs, central air and wall to wall carpeting! I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is also the golden door. The key to fixing all of life's problems and I've seen the proof of it on my mission.


I love you family, God bless America and you guys too.

Con mucho amor
Elder Holman

Enviado desde mi iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment