Hey guys! Not a lot has happened in all reality since we last talked. I think I wrote you an email this past Wednesday??? So ya... we've mostly just been doing a lot of service and stuff.
Our primary focus this week has been Liz . This past week we met with her and shared the Plan of Salvation. She really took it well I believe. She had many questions, but we were able to answer just about all of her concerns. It is always great to be working with someone who is eager to learn and is actively trying to receive answers. That's the way that Liz is! It's also great because her son is always there to support her and help her to understand. He was a great missionary and he's continuing to do the work by helping his mother understand. It is so great working with him, but pretty soon here I think it would be good to get another member involved with her so she can have other ties and connections with the church, and hear others testimonies!
One of our other investigators we've been working with is John. He is still struggling with smoking, but says he wants to quit. He says as soon as he quits he will get baptized, but he has set his goal to quit when the cigarette prices reach $6... Not a very good goal, but he doesn't like us to push him too much. So for now we are going to do our best to be patient and keep working with him. He has been taught everything, and says he believes it is all true. Lately we have been reading the Book of Mormon with him more and trying our best to "Liken the scriptures" to him, trying to relate it to aspects of his life so he can see where it is that he can improve. He's a fantastic guy!
We did quite a bit of service this week. Maybe we might have focused on it a little more than we should have, but I feel that through that service we have gained the trust of many members. We helped out with a ward member’s Eagle Scout Project and we were assigned some of the hardest work to do, but it was enjoyable and we were able to get to know/connect more with the members through this service. My hope is that it will lead to more referrals and to teaching in their homes because that truly is the best way of having success.
We met this week again with John. We try to every week, just to make sure he is staying strong, but all is well with him. He is continuing to improve in all aspects of the gospel. I think the next time we stop by we are gonna talk a little with him about patriarchal blessings. I definitely believe he is ready for his!
My studies are going well. I've decided to start reading more out of the Book of Mormon along with doing my study of Preach My Gospel every day. I'm trying to mark as many things in the scriptures as I can that I feel could relate to the people that we are teaching at this time. I love the Book of Mormon, It amazes me how much I learn every time I pick it up. I love gospel studies.
This transfer we are doing something called a 40 day fast. Elder Evans and I have fasted and prayed about some of the things that are keeping the spirit from being our constant companion and we have decided we are going to do our best to put those things on the alter and give them up in order to see if we can change our desires and become more exactly obedient. We're human, and we make mistakes, but we have desires to improve. Every time we fall down we'll do our best to get back up and do our best.
A lot of what I just wrote is directly from my president’s letter cuz I didn't really wanna write it all over again. So I kinda copied and pasted... but ya. Things are good. Not too much is new. I love Muscatine. I definitely want to come to sacrament meeting in Muscatine when you guys come pick me up though. Such a great ward! :)
Hope all is going well at home! I hope Brock and Landy-pants had good Birthdays.. I love those guys! Crazy to think that by this time next year Land could be on his mission... a bit insane no?
Well, I love you family. More than you know.
Choose the right and listen to the spirit in all the things you do and choices you make. Love you all!
~Elder Holman
No comments:
Post a Comment