Monday, May 7, 2012

Moses Lake, Washington


Hey everybody! How’s it going!

I’m having a pretty good time here in Moses Lake Washington!!! woot whoo!!
Okay so ill give you a little run down on what’s been going on since the trip to the airport! I flew on over to Denver, talked to some cool peeps over there about the church. I was shocked when a bunch of people started talking to me in the airport there, and then I took off to Washington! On the plane ride I talked to a cholo from Chicago, he was a straight up black guy that had more gangster swag then I could ever dream of having. haha It was awesome sitting next to him and telling him about the church.  In the end he told me he wasn't interested, but we had a pretty sick convo! I was glad I had talked to him because it pretty much broke me in for the mish! haha you get lots of rejection, but its all good!

Once our plane had landed we met president! His name is president Palmer and he has a very thick New Zealand accent! He’s a pretty sick guy! He introduced us to the AP's, had us throw our stuff in the car, and then took us down to down town rainy cold Spokane Washington, and he had us do something called fear-busting! He set us up with some random companions that new the area and then had us go talk to random people about the church! My comp was elder W! He has only been a member of the church for a year and a half! He took me into the straight up ghetto of Spokane, and we talked to lots of gangsters! Needless to say I felt right at home! In fact the very first dude we talked to had a bunch of questions for us, and we had a full on 40-minute lesson right on his porch! It was dope! I’m not sure if he's still listening to the discussions or not cuz I’m not in that area, but it was pretty sweet to talk to him. After that we talked to a bunch of Mexicans, and lots of black people that were all about the Baptist church, so not a whole lot of success there, but it was pretty sweet! My fear was leaving me peace by peace! After that we went and chillaxed at the church right next door to the temple! We had a bunch of meetings and really got to know all the missionaries that were new to the Spokane Washington mission. After that I had an interview with president which went well, and then we all had dinner at the presidents house! It was awesome!

After that, elder Davidson and I (my comp from the mtc) went and slept over at a members house! And they were Loaded with a capital L! My room that I stayed in was the size of our house, and they told me in the morning that I could go out on my deck and look out over their 50 acres of land as I study the scriptures! Life was going mighty fine!!! The next morning i woke up went to the church to meet who my companion would be for the next six weeks...His name is Elder T. he's a zone leader. My other companions name is Elder J. My mission president assigned me to serve in an area about 3 hours away from Spokane -the area is called Moses Lake. The family that I’m staying with came and picked us up and took us back to their place. The room I’m sharing is pretty nice!

Well yeah so now I’m out in Moses Lake doing some missionary work, which is pretty sweet! Me and Elder J were new to the area, but elder T has served here before, and pretty much we are starting from scratch, I think its called whitewashing or something! So yeah we started from scratch, and we have already found a lot of cool people to teach. Missionary work is pretty hard still. I've had some awesome days this week, and also some pretty downer days...not gonna lie.

My comps can kinda get on my nerves sometimes, but its all good. I’m trying my hardest to work with it. They’re not the best trainers in the world. They focus more on being zone leaders, so I’m really having to figure things out for myself. I ask lots of questions, but they just ignore me. So yeah, I’m hanging in there. Its pretty hard, but I’m trying to not focus on it. But its really hard, cuz ill ask questions and they'll just look at me, and then each other, and then they'll just keep on talking on like I’m not even there. Or in the mornings they'll make breakfast for each other, but not me, and then when I make breakfast for all three of us, they get mad at me for making so much food, and then they'll tell me they won’t want to eat what I made...The thing that drove me crazy, is we had an appointment with this guy named dean. We got to his house and he was drinking hard liquor chewing tobacco, and smoking. I asked him if he could stop, and told him that the reason we teach is so that others can feel the spirit, and when your drinking or smoking, it makes it so that we can't feel the spirit...well he got pretty upset at me and told me that other missionaries had taught him when we was drinking before.  I made my point again, and then my companions didn't even back me up, they told Dean that I was brand new and had no idea what I was doing...so we stayed there and watched Dean get drunker than a dog all while he was spitting chewing tobacco on me...it made me pretty upset that my companions wouldn't have my back, and would just sit there and watch as he got drunk...we didn't even teach him a lesson.

After when we were heading back home, I kinda got mad at them, and they said, " hey Christ hung out with the sinners so we should to". haha I got pretty upset but, I’m trying to be cool and not let it bug me as much. I had a pretty good lesson with Dean yesterday to make up for the crappy one we had at the beginning of the week, but yeah. I’m trying to hang in there. I have already seen, and helped people to find Christ in their life. I’m watching as people have drug addiction, or coke addicts or the straight up crazies accept Christ in their life, and watch as he works on them and makes them better. I’ve already given messages to people that are dying with cancer, and have been giving them hope in this life, and a knowledge of the next life to come. In short, when I’m teaching and am out with the people that need hope in their lives, and am teaching it to them, that’s when I’m the happiest. But when I’m hangin around with the comps I get pretty antsy and that’s when I start to get depressed.... but yeah, I’m definitely learning how to live with others, and am learning when I should keep my mouth shut and when I should open it...k well I don’t have a whole lot of time "my Two best friends" are telling me that its time to bounce! Pray for me!

P.s. thanks for sending the emails. If you wanna send me anything you can just send it to
P.O. box 2253 Moses Lake Wa 98837

Send me letters! Peace out baby cakes!
~Elder Holman

No comments:

Post a Comment