Hey Everyone!!! I'm here! I'm in good ol' Iowa!
Okay, so I got here and the president and his wife were waiting for us. They picked us up, took us to McDonalds and then back to their place! Right after, a bunch of missionaries showed up and took us tracting. I went in Spanish. It was so tough and freaked me out like crazy, and might I add, we had very little success haha... but it’s cool no worries. :)
So we went back to place and had a really nice dinner, and then a testimony meeting and a meeting about rules and stuff. We all met with the president individually. He is an amazing man. Both him and his wife. I love them both, and I don't even know them that well. They are amazing. President gave me a beautiful blessing to start out my mission. Then we slept over at their place. The next morning we had breakfast and then opened our companion/area calls. I was called to Hampton, Iowa. And my companions name Is Elder Gonzales. He's a nice guy. He has a very strong and spiritual testimony. He loves the gospel and he's great at opening his mouth to share it.
So after I met him, we headed right to our area. I said goodbye to Hermana Murphy who I've been in the MTC with for the last 2 months (she's awesome) I'm gonna miss her a lot. She brought a lot of "life and funk" to the mission for me. haha. When we got to Hampton, we went straight to a dinner appointment with a Mexican family. ALL SPANISH! I had no clue what I was saying or doing, but somehow, I managed to share a scripture and its importance with the family. So, I also met a lot of members in this area while I was here. There is no ward. It is a branch because it is so small, But these people are some of the most humble and nicest people I have ever met. They all speak crazy Spanish too. Mostly the parents. A lot of the children speak both English and Spanish, but when teaching, we have to use Spanish.
I met so many people the first day I couldn't keep them all straight. But they are all fantastic people. I have been to many member homes for meals and shared some spiritual messages with them.
My apartment is nice, well now it is. I walked in and it was a complete gross mess. But I cleaned all morning cuz its P-day. It looks really nice now. I hung pictures and mirrors, and completely flipped furniture around so it would look better. You'd be proud dad ;) haha So now... I love my apartment, now that I have given it that special touch. And it’s in a great place! Stores right across the street, library a block away, wash room within the apartment, oh and there is a barber right below us. It like it was a place meant for missionaries. I'll take pictures.
Church was wonderful. Extremely hard to understand, but Fun. Presidente Miguel (branch president) Had me stand up in front of everyone and introduce myself, where I am from, and share my testimony with everyone. It was tough in Spanish, but I got through it. Surprisingly there are very many people who speak Spanish here. It’s crazy. OH! I went to my first quinciera. It’s a party for 15 year girls in Hispanic culture. It was pretty insane. SOOO many people. Lots of good food. That was a lot of fun, oh also the same day we went to a real derby. IT was sweet. A car like totally blew up. Some guy had to go to the hospital because he got hit so hard. It was crazy.
Okay so what have I not mentioned... OH we set 4 baptismal dates yesterday. Amazing. And we're hoping to get more for the same day. We’d like to have 6. We have taught tons of new families since we got here. Elder Gonzales has been in this area for a while and he says he hasn't had success unit I got here. So I must be doing something right - haha.
The mission is so hard already. But I have experienced amazing things. I have never felt the spirit so strong in my life. It's amazing how teaching others strengthens your testimony. I think the best way to strengthen a testimony is to teach it. No doubt. I have truly been guided by the spirit since I have gotten out here. I have, at times, experienced the gift of tongues. We taught a brand new family the other day. I taught and shared my testimony all in Spanish. When we finished and went back to the car, my companion told me I spoke perfect Spanish, I couldn’t believe it. When I tried to recreate what I had said he said I was making mistakes right and left, but in the meeting, it was perfect. It was such a testimony booster for me that God is there and he will help us whenever in need as long as we have righteous desires. I want everyone to read Nephi 3:7. My testimony of this has increased immensely in just a week. It’s so amazing.
I love you all. You are such a blessing in my life. I pray for you all every day. I am so excited to be on a mission. This is the greatest opportunity of a lifetime. I hope you all know how much I love and miss you. My prayers are with you.
I love you all very much. I only have an hour to read/write my emails every week, so I would rather you sent letters to my apartment and then I will write back to you on emails. Just so I have more time to write! So here is my address for you to send me letters and packages and stuff:
Iowa Des Moines mission office
8515 Douglas Avenue suite 19
Urbandale, Iowa 50322
I love you all so much! I hope all is well!
Elder Holman
So awesome! Thanks so much for doing this blog, Star. It's blessing my life already.
ReplyDelete