Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Official assistant to the presidents wife - Nov 15

Hey everybody! How’s it going?!? Another week has past us by... would ya look at that.

It was a really good week. A really enjoyable week. We stayed pretty busy so it went fast! On Tuesday, I went into Des Moines to help sister Jergensen with a project. I made a going home slide show for all the missionaries going home at the end of this transfer. It ended up being really good. Sister Jergensen loved it and told me it was 100 times better than she expected it to be in comparison to those she had seen in the past, and she was right, it was a lot better than the ones in the past (I watched a few) So that was tons of fun. It was so cool to spend a whole day with the Jergensens. They are possibly some of the most amazing people ever. I love them so much. They have so much charity... You can just feel it the second you see their faces. Its amazing. Sis. J. made us an amazing lunch, and that night she apologized cuz they had to leave a little early and she told us sorry she couldn't make dinner... then immediately Pres. J. said: Well I can... and walked over and gave us a 20 dollar bill. He said go out and have a good time ;) He is just the man!!! I hope I have a continued relationship with those two for the rest of my life. They are amazing and I love them so so much. They also asked me if I'd be willing to come in again this next week to do some other stuff on their computers, so I'm going in this Friday. haha.. looks like I'm an official assistant to the presidents wife.. ha the first of its kind. :) I love it though.

We had a good week teaching. We had several lessons. C, one of our baptismal dates is progressing… but we had to teach him the word of wisdom this past week... This guy smokes A TON!!! It was a rough lesson but by the end we had him convinced he needs to quit. He kept on saying... well what if I just control myself, and I don't do it as often... I'll just try and limit myself. I then told him: You know its a commandment right? just like every commandment, we need to keep it to come closer to Christ. Even a little is too much. Do you think god would be fine with us killing other people just a little bit? not too much, as long as we limit the amount we murder? No he's not gonna be happy, and likewise we need to keep this commandment completely in order to receive the blessings associated with it. at that point he agreed and committed to start living it. We need to get back over there and check and see how he's doing... he's such a great guy :)

We're still working with a girl named V and she's coming along. Should be baptized like next week. She's a lot of fun ;)

It was a busy week towards the end. We went to the worldwide Leadership training meeting to hear about the new handbooks... and guess who showed up? None other than the Apostle Elder Nelson! wow... it was amazing, I got to shake his hand, and the following day he spoke to us at stake conference! I was so close I could see every wrinkle on his face and every shot of spit from his mouth as he talked. It was amazing! He was fantastic, and truly just got up and spoke by the spirit. I loved every minute of it. It felt like he was looking at me a lot of the time as well, it felt so personal.. ah it was so cool!

His talk was centered on the principles of the gospel and on families. It was amazing. He talked about missionary work too, heck he talked about everything. Specifically he talked about how we need to display our happiness. He said that we are a happy people and we need to show that more, because when people see how happy we are they were either think: 1. What’s wrong with that person or 2. What makes that person so happy? Obviously it is the gospel and the atonement of Jesus Christ that pushes us to joy and happiness. The restoration of the gospel should make us want to shout! We have a prophet, we have eternal families, we have the priesthood, we know the true order of prayer, we have scripture revealed and written for our day, we can inherit eternal life, we have the temple of God on earth..... we have the truth and the truth makes us happy, and we need to share that with others! That's mostly what I got out of his talk.. it was amazing :) You could just feel the power as he spoke, and the spirit testified to me in that chapel in that hour, that he was an apostle of the lord Jesus Christ, and you could tell that he knew that as well. Amazing, simply amazing. I hope I can come home, be successful really quick, retire and hand my life over to the lord as apostles and prophets do. I want to be in the service of my lord in one way or another for the rest of my life... because its the best!

So anyway, just some really good experiences this week. Well I love you all! Have a great week!

Much love,
Elder Holman

No comments:

Post a Comment