Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Dear Family!

Hey! There's not too much to talk about as we talked about most of what we could on Christmas! But I just want you all to know how much I love you and miss you!
So I'm glad you all had a great Christmas, it was so good to hear your voices, I miss you all just tons! Christmas time is such an incredible time of the year. A time to really contemplate the Savior’s Birth, His Ministry, and His Sacrifice. I wanted to share with you some thoughts about finding Christ in Christmas symbols.

1. RED- Symbolizes the atonement. The blood of Christ was shed to atone for the sins of all mankind.

2. WHITE- Symbolizes purity and cleanliness. Through the atonement of Christ mankind can become cleansed from their sins.

3. GREEN- Symbolizes everlasting life (as seen in evergreen plants). Through the blood of Christ man can receive everlasting or eternal life.

4. CHRISTMAS TREE- Represents the tree of life as in the Garden of Eden or Lehi's dream. The tree of life is what all men seek for. Nephi learned that the tree of life was the love of God expressed through the atonement of Christ (see 1 Nephi 11:10-23). Through the atonement mankind may receive everlasting or eternal life. The green of the Christmas tree reminds us of the eternal life given us by Christ. The Medieval church celebrated Adam and Eve day of Dec. 24th and used the evergreen tree with apples hung on it to represent the "paradise tree” or the “tree of good and evil". They celebrated the fall of Adam on Dec. 24th and on Dec. 25th they celebrated the redemption from the fall with candles being added to the tree to represent Christ the "Light of the World".

5. GIFTS- Symbolize the gift of Eternal Life. Christ's atonement was a gift to us. The gifts might also remind us of the gifts of the spirit that all should earnestly seek (see D&C 46). Our giving gifts to others reminds us that all our work should helping others to receive the gift of eternal life through the atonement.

6. ELVES- Angels, prophets, leaders of the church, and any who assist in the bringing of eternal life to God's children.

7. RUDOLPH- Symbolizes Christ as a guide. Mocked and unaccepted by his peer until they realized He is the only one who can save them. He saves man by being a light (a red light!) to those in darkness (the mist of darkness of Lehi's dream?).

8. WREATH- Wreaths are round and green with red berries. This symbolizes that eternal life is everlasting and brought about by the atonement. In ancient Rome, a wreath was worn as a sign of victory. The victory we celebrate is Christ's victory in the Garden and on the Cross.

9. XMAS- The term Xmas is often misunderstood. Sometimes people deride the term saying "They are Xing Christ out of Christmas." Anciently, early Christians used to abbreviate Christ with an X because in ancient Greek the X was often written like a “ t ”. Consequently, X reminded them of the cross - a symbol of the atonement. Therefore, Xmas is a beautiful reminder of what Christ has done for us.

Thought I'd just share those quick thoughts with you as I don't have too much new to share with you! But I want you all to know I love you very much. I'm so very grateful for such a loving supportive family. I can feel that you are praying and thinking of me, and It really does help me to know I have so many people on my side... whenver I have a really tough day, I just think about how many people are praying for me and pushing me forward and it always gives me the strength I need in order to continue forward. Thanks for all you do for me, thank you for the package ya'll sent to me, I loved it! :) I hope you all had a merry christmas! have a happy new year too! i love and miss you and I will talk to you soon :)

Much love,
~Elder Holman

No comments:

Post a Comment