Dearest family!
I hope you are all having a great day and that last week was fantastic for you! It's been another great week as usual... how can it not be over all amazing when you're on a mission.
I just gotta say, I love being a missionary. There's nothing better in this world!!! well.. maybe a few things... But being a missionary rocks. I want my little brothers to know that going on mission will be one of the greatest, best, and most important choices you ever make... there almost shouldn't be an option. Here you have an opportunity to change and cultivate the spirit in your life, grow in your understanding of the gospel, and feel very directly of the love that god has for each of us. It’s amazing. Start preparing now! My mission means everything to me, and I want it to mean that to all of you.
This past week has been really good. I don't have a ton to report, just good things are happening! Y is still progressing. Her husband is coming back after 5 months of being deported in Mexico. She's solid though... she just got work off on Sundays so now she can go to church every week. We have a baptismal date set with her for Feb. 19th. Hopefully that goes through. We’ve been having some really good lessons with her and she's been feeling the spirit really strong. Pray for her!
A, (part Member family) is doing really good... she doesn't really like reading the book of Mormon cuz she doesn't understand it all that well, so we got her the comic book version and she loves it. She read like 5 chapters out of it last night. We are shooting for a baptismal date of Feb. 12 for her right now... she says she's still praying about it, but things are looking like its gonna go through, so we are way pumped for her.
So a couple cool stories... Yesterday we got a call from a member in another ward in Des Moines. He told us about this guy named R who he works with. He said they had had numerous conversations about the church. The only problem is that Raul speaks a very limited amount of English. The member said that he had given Raul a copy of the book of Mormon and wanted us to go follow up with him. And so we did. The second we got of the phone with him, we drove to his house and knocked his door. He let us in, we had a little small talk at first and then he said: so what is it that you have prepared to teach today? We told him... well we just stopped by to see if you wanted to come to church? (keep in mind.. this is in the first 3 minutes of meeting him.. and church was in 30 min.) he was quiet for a second and then said.. well its now or never.. let me go get ready. He followed us to church and loved it!!! it was magic for him… another funny thing is that it was branch conference, so all the white people came to the Spanish branch, several could speak Spanish too. He got so excited! After the meeting... he looked up to the ceiling almost as if he was praying to god. He told us he's been waiting for this for years. He was amazed by the spirit he felt at church, he was so pleased to see so many white people that had learned Spanish so that they could communicate! He said he felt so good about everything! Pretty amazing.. we then talked with him and said: R, do you know why you’re here? You are here because the lord loves you, and he wants you to be baptized by the proper authority of god into his true church. Are you ready? And he said yes, yes I'll be baptized, I'll do whatever... I just love this church and I am so happy!
I'll let you know how the lessons go with him, but he expressed that he already lives a good life, he has no word of wisdom problems and no chastity problems... the two toughest commandments to get through out here in Iowa! We're really excited.
Also another story. I am so grateful to be a missionary because I can openly share the gospel at all times, in all things and in all places. Before my mission I would often see people and feel deep down in my heart, that person needs the gospel. Now that I have Christ’s name on my chest, I have no problem with walking up to them and telling them that that is what they need. I love sharing the gospel.
Today I went into Wells Fargo because I had to put a little more money in my account there so that I wouldn't get a fee… I got it all worked out and I'm good to go... but I sat at this young mans desk. His name is T. he's probably only a couple years older than me. Really nice guy. Elder P went over and sat in the waiting area as T started asking me about what it is that I do. Our 5 minute appointment turned into an hour as I shared the first lesson with him and gave him a Book of Mormon. He was intrigued. The spirit was so strong at that little Wells Fargo desk. People were walking back and forth past us but it was as if we were in a room alone. He told me he often felt that his life was going well and that he had a good job, lots of money, going to a good school, and yet something was still missing. he said he was even religious, he went to the Catholic church every week, and yet walked away feeling empty. He said he doesn't even agree with all the things they teach. It was a perfect opportunity to testify to him about the fullness of the gospel, and how it can truly fill the emptiness inside of us. Many people feel that they have emptiness inside them, and much of the time, they do. God put that emptiness there, the reason being? He’s the only one who can fill that space. God put that hole in our hearts so that he can fill and overflow it if we keep the commandments and follow the savior. We also talked about choices and how important they are... our bad choices often escalate to worse ones, until we've dug ourselves in a hole. He told me about a friend of his who made one bad choice which lead to drugs, which lead to alcohol, which lead to guns and violence, which ultimately lead to his death as he robbed a store and went on a high speed cop chase... he shot several cops and they shot him ten times in the chest. He died. Because of one stupid choice, it lead to another... our choices are so important. I testified to him that when we follow the commandments, we set ourselves free. We are no longer bound by addictive substances or sadness. We become happy, we become good people, we become saints.
Then a thought came into my head that I shared with him, and I know it was the Holy Ghost that brought it into my mind. I don't know where i heard it, but I said: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence and righteousness, therefore, are not acts, but habits" I testified to him that when we make good choices, we become better people. We become a commandment keeping person. We become righteous.
I set up an appointment with him for next Saturday. He's excited to learn more.
Being a missionary is amazing. Your chest constantly feels as though it may burst because of the spirit and the love of god that you feel deep inside! I testify that this church is true! I know it through and through. God has told me, and so now I have the responsibility of sharing that with all others! Keep the commandments! Read your scriptures, say your prayers, go to church and try to actively get something out of it. When we do these 3 things, we receive Revelation. We come closer to God. We feel the spirit in our lives. Our testimony grows and strengthens. it sounds so simple, and yet, those 3 things are so important. Do them with all your heart, might, mind and strength, and god will bless you from on high!
I love you family, you are always in my prayers!
Much love,
~Elder Holman
No comments:
Post a Comment