Hey everyone! How are you doing? Great I hope! Well it’s been one whirlwind of a week. But a great one, one to remember...
We had a lot of meetings this week. Tuesday was zone leader council, It's basically where all the zone leaders in the mission get together and discuss things that are going on in the mission. Things we can do to improve, things that we are already doing well, etc. It was a really good meeting. The next day was leadership conferences. That’s when they bring in all the trainers, district leaders, and zone leaders to train on fundamentals of preach my gospel. Elder Poulsen and I were asked to give training on Receiving revelation through the Book of Mormon. It went so well. Probably the highlight of the training was we asked them all: "alright who likes pie? The first person to answer a Book of Mormon question gets some pie." We called on someone to come up (he had volunteered to do this prior), he answered correctly and we said "alright you won some pie,” we then follow by smashing a pie in his face haha... it was hilarious. Everyone was laughing. Then after I asked, so who else wants some pie? No one raised their hand, we proceeded to say, oh come on, just a minute ago you all wanted pie, now none of you want it?
I then pulled a nice piece of pie out on a plate with a fork on nice china. I walked up to president and said, president, this is a delicious pie. Both elder Poulsen and I have had a piece of it and we know it is good. We want to share it with you, here it is. Will you take a bite? He was hesitant after seeing a pie smashed in an elders face and then we said, "you can trust us president". He took a bite and loved it! It was just a really neat parallel. If we want our investigators to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it with real intent and sincerely, we need to present it in a way that will make it desirable to them... if we don't explain it simply, they won't understand, and if we shove it in there face and tell them to eat it, without explaining a good reason to, they wont have any desire. We need to teach the Book of Mormon in such a way that they will see a need for it in their lives. They also need to trust us... we talked about a lot of good things. But ya, the training went so well... we really felt guided by the Holy Ghost in our presentation.
That was basically the highlight of this week. Got to go on a couple exchanges. Elder Evans came back to Des Moines, so I got to see him for a bit. That was exciting :) We found some new investigators... still working with other ones... not a ton of progress right now...
Sorry If I seem spacey or all over the place today. I just have a lot on my mind... Something pretty big happened this week. Pretty big news.
After our training on Wednesday president told me he'd like to speak to me after. He pulled me into a room and we started with a word of prayer. He then just started talking with me. He said that he'd like to call me to be his new assistant. He said that he has wanted to do it since the first time he saw me in July, and that’s why I have progressed so fast in leadership positions since then. There was this one time that we got invited to go to Iowa city to go see a show that the Nauvoo pageant cast was putting on called Our Story Goes On, back in July, I don't know if you remember, but there were a bunch of people in the cast that I knew either from Treasure Island or A Brand New Year. Anyway, one of the actors went up to president apparently and paid me a pretty nice comment, so says president, and after that guy left he said he had a undeniable impression from the Holy Ghost that I was to be an AP before I went home.... Pretty amazing story. Makes my heart feel like its going to burst just talking about it. Anyway, this transfer will be cut short with elder Poulsen. I go in for training this Wednesday and I'm getting trained all week by president. This is going to be an amazing experience, and its going to be a huge surprise to the rest of the mission.
There have only been like 2 Spanish AP's in the last 5 or 6 years. It doesn't happen very often because it throws a lot of things off with transfers. But I am just so thrilled for another opportunity to learn and to grow. I'm grateful my Heavenly Father trusts me enough to make me a main leader of this mission... and now I have to be my very best.
It seems like since half way out in my mission, every time I've gotten comfortable with where I am and what I'm doing as a missionary, I get another, higher calling. It always stretches me and makes me grow more. Just recently I've started feeling comfortable again and now look, another calling. And that’s fine! It keeps things exciting and I keep growing and changing. There is no growth in the comfort zone and there is no comfort in the growth zone! I 'm just really looking forward to more of a chance to grow...
But now is the time I need your prayers more than ever... I will be speaking in public setting on almost a weekly bases, doing trainings, etc. Being an AP is not going to be easy so please pray for me. I know you already do!
I love you all so much! You the best! Hope to hear from you real soon.
Much love,
~Elder Holman
No comments:
Post a Comment