Sunday, September 1, 2013

Writing from La Plata, Buenos Aires - Aug. 12

Hey Holman family!!!

Today I’m writing you guys here in La Plata! The capital of Buenos Aires! I’m in a dark smoky cyber writing you guys. Though its dark and blue and i feel that I’m writing you from outer darkness, i feel super happy because this week truly was great. 

The reason I’m writing you today in la plata is because today we had our zone activity and president totally said that it was okay if we watched despicable me 2! haha so we went to the guy in the corner selling it, bought a copy, and laughed like crazy as a zone...it was so weird to watch a movie! I felt like i was breaking a rule, haha but president said we could, you guys will have to go and watch it, its super awesome! In other news I’m supper happy that Holly had her wedding, you´ll have to congratulate her for me!!

This week was super fun for me and my comp, but it was filled with traveling. This last Thursday the zone leaders came over to do an exchange with us and do some interviews for baptisms! I was pared up with my good bud Elder Gronaldos the mexicano! I love Mexicans by the way, I’m pretty sure their my favorite Latin out of all of them, they all are super hard workers, and all have super strong testimonies...its probably cuz there all lamanites :) Everybody shut the doors in our face that night but it didn’t get us down, we just laughed it off! On Friday we got up super early and went to a fireside with President Gonzales, the President of the area. It was super awesome to go and here him talk, the guy didn’t even have anything planned, he just set his scriptures down on the pulpit and began to talk and follow the impressions of the spirit! It was supper awesome! Something that he talked about that I really liked is how we shouldn’t ever have fear. Fear to teach, or fear to baptize. Sometimes we are scared to return to a door, or afraid to teach somebody a lesson, but we need to trust in the lord, and he will always give us hope. He also talked to us about how we need to teach our investigators to always have faith, repent, and then make a covenant. The first covenant that we make is when we get baptized, but after that, we can’t forget the process, we need to have faith, repent, and then make a weekly covenant. We need to partake of the sacrament. I felt the spirit a lot in his talk. I was super impressed on how he could listen to the small still voice of the spirit to give a great talk.... After the talk finished me and my comp couldn’t return to our area until 8 that night, so we were out a whole day of work, I was a little bit frustrated but it was worth it.

The next big Highlight of the week is We HAD A BAPTISM! No it wasn’t my good friend Ernesto though, we had a couple things that went down with him, but if everything is on track he should be getting baptized this Saturday. But this past Saturday Mirta maria del Carmin Lada got baptized. She was so excited to make that covenant. This past Friday when I went by her house she was just smiling from ear to ear, she explained to us that she was so excited to follow Christ by being baptized. It was so fun to teach her and watch as the message of Jesus Christ changed her life. Each time i marked a chapter in the Book of Mormon she read it, and marked all the parts she liked. It was so incredible to see her faith growing, and it was especially amazing to watch her faith grow through and by reading the Book of Mormon. It’s a process that i have seen many times on my mission, the second an investigator starts to read the Book of Mormon and apply the message of it in there lives is when the change comes. The Book of Mormon testifies of Christ, Nephi States,  And we atalk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we bprophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our cchildren may know to what source they may look for a dremission of their sins.29 And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and aworship him with all your bmight, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out.

The message of the Book of Mormon is that Christ is the savior of the world, the second that we accept this and begin to read his teachings through the holy scriptures is when our lives change and when we have desires to worship the master with all of our hear might, mind and strength. I truly felt that because Mirta read the Book of Mormon every day, that it truly changed her. It only left her with the desire to follow Christ, and that’s exactly what she did this past Saturday. 

We filled the font up, dressed Mirta up in all white and started the meeting. As the meeting started, i could feel the spirit so strongly, There was a point in the program when an Hermana was talking about the holy ghost, and i felt it so strongly, it testified to me, that what Mirta was doing was the way. 

Hahaha after her toes poked out 3 times, the 4th time actually counted, she was baptized and looked so happy and excited. The next day i got to stand in on the circle of priesthood as we confirmed and ordained her a member of the Church of Jesus Christ. It was such an incredible feeling, I’m so grateful that i could be part of her conversion process, and I’m so blessed to be able to have this opportunity to be a missionary and teach her of the truth.

To be a missionary truly is a gift from God. There is no better gift that God could give a young boy, then to serve a mission. I have learned for myself that God truly does exist and that he loves us. I have come to a greater understanding of the eternal sacrifice that our savior made for us. I know that he lives and wants each one of us to follow him, so that we can one day return to live with out father. The Book of Mormon states clearly the way, 
20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a asteadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of bhope, and a clove of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and dendure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eeternal life.
 21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the away; and there is bnone other way nor cname given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the ddoctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of theeFather, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is fone God, without end. Amen.

I know that it is only through our savior Jesus Christ that we can be saved. I will forever be in debt to him, and will forever worship his great name, no greater friend have we then our brother Jesus Christ. As we come unto him, he blesses us with happiness, and joy, but more importantly he changes us. He changes us and helps us to be more like him. This is my testimony. I know that my redeemer lives, and that if we will loose or life in Christ, we truly will find our lives in him.

I gotta run but i want you all to know how much i love you. The time is flying by way too fast... faster then i want it to! i love being a missionary and serving the lord, and I’m so excited for all of my brothers to have the same opportunity. It will forever change their lives!

You all are in my prayers!  Love ya bunch!!

Con mucho amor
Elder Holman

P.s. have fun in Lake Powell for me!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment